Carbon Monoxide – Beware silent killer!

poisonous

PUBLIC SAFETY NOTICE:

CARBON MONOXIDE is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell and it can kill.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that can be produced by faulty gas boilers, gas fires, heaters and cookers, wood burning stoves and open fires.

In the UK, more than 50 people die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and 200 people are left seriously ill. Hospitals diagnose around 4,000 people with the condition each year.

A headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:

  • dizziness and nausea (feeling sick)
  • vomiting (being sick)
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to ensure they have Carbon Monoxide alarms fitted in their homes.

Jules Hunt, of Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said: “I urge residents to ensure they have Carbon Monoxide alarms installed in their home. As the cooler nights draw in and the heating is turned on, the risk of CO poisoning is increased. If Carbon Monoxide is detected, these alarms will sound, giving residents an early warning enabling them to escape.”

Advice on Carbon monoxide detectors from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service:

  • Carbon monoxide detectors should comply with British Standard BS 7860.
  • They should be used as early warning indicators only – they are not a substitute for regular servicing.
  • Carbon monoxide detectors should not be installed near smoke alarms or fuel-burning appliances.
  • One detector should be installed at knee height near the sleeping area of your home.
  • Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper use and maintenance.
  • Use detectors as warnings only – do not replace regular checks with detectors.
  • Carbon monoxide detectors do not replace the need for smoke detectors.

Anyone wishing to request free safety advice can contact Humberside Fire & Rescue Service on 0300 303 8242

Visit: www.humbersidefire.gov.uk

About the Author

Ray Duffill (Editor)
Ray Duffill (Editor)
Ray Duffill (photo by Neil Holmes) is a former community development manager but now describes himself as a beat-blogger or citizen-journalist. Ray lives in Hedon and also edits the Hedon Blog and is the Hedon correspondent for the Holderness Gazette.

Be the first to comment on "Carbon Monoxide – Beware silent killer!"

Leave a Comment (please don't post anonymously)