VIVERGO FUELS has achieved a very significant safety milestone at its Saltend based site, completing 5 million hours over the last 3 and half years of construction activity without a Day Away from Work Case due to injury. During this period there were up to 1,200 people working at the site.
Note: When someone has an accident at the workplace and has to stay at home for more than one day, we speak of a Day Away from Work Case.
In recognition of this achievement, Vivergo and its main contractor partners have got together to donate over £20,000 to a range of local and national charities.
The charities are:
- Hornsea Inshore Rescue, nominated by Vivergo Fuels – a vital rescue service manned entirely by volunteers. Vivergo Fuels will be sponsoring the jet bike, which forms part of the rapid response unit allowing some of the most dangerous rescue operations to take place.
- Friends of PICU (Paediatric Intensive Care Unit at Southampton General Hospital), nominated by Jacobs – supporting the children and their families by providing vital equipment and services that are not normally provided by the statutory authorities.
- The Haemophilia Society and Special Smiles, nominated by Cleartech – The Haemophilia Society is the only national and independent organisation for all people affected by bleeding disorders. Special Smiles is based in Hull and East Riding and provides support for disabled children and their families.
- The Braiden Lee Prescott Appeal, nominated by Deborah Services Ltd (DSL) – raising funds to send Braiden to America for Life Saving Treatment for Neuroblastoma.
- Weston Park Hospital Development Fund and Lindsey Lodge Hospice, nominated by The Clugston Group – Weston Park provides information and support to cancer patients, their carers and friends, in South Yorkshire. Lindsey Lodge Hospice offers very special care for people in the North Lincolnshire area living with life-limiting conditions such as cancer, multiple sclerosis and motor neurone disease.
- Downright Special, nominated by TEI – providing support and advice to parents on all aspects of caring for a child with Down Syndrome.
- St Andrew’s Hospice, nominated by Intertek – ‘Making each day count’ is the motto at St Andrew’s in Grimsby, which provides hospitality and care for adults and children.
Andy Bulman, Operations Director at Vivergo Fuels, said: “We are committed to sustaining the wellbeing of the people we work with and the environment we live in, and it’s great to have achieved this significant milestone with such a good safety record. This achievement is testament to the huge effort required and delivered by everybody involved with the Vivergo Fuels business.”
“We are delighted that a number of charities – both local and national – will benefit from the safe working practices of ourselves and the businesses that have worked with us.”
He concluded: “It’s a great feeling for employees across Vivergo and our contractor partners to see their favourite charities benefit from everyone working safely together.”
Donations approaching £200,000 have been made to local and national charities as well as a range of community groups in the last four years as a result of the Vivergo activities.
The Vivergo Fuels plant, which will be one of Europe’s largest producers of bioethanol and the UK’s biggest single site supplier of animal feed, will be operational later this year.