FREE compost giveaways
|April 3, 2012||Filled under Community, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Environment, Withernsea|
73% – The increase in the amount of food waste East Riding residents put in their brown bins
THE TOWNS and areas that will receive free compost in this summer’s 2012 giveaways by East Riding of Yorkshire Council have been announced.
A total of 5,000 bags ready to be taken away will be given free at nine giveaways across the East Riding.
Councillor Symon Fraser, portfolio holder for environment, housing and planning, said: “The giveaways have become a popular annual event and little wonder because this compost makes a great soil improver. Much of it will have come from the brown bins. Only a few months ago it was the plate scrapings from dinner, the mowings from the lawn, the clippings from the hedge and cardboard from packages.”
All the giveaways start at 4pm and will go on until all the bags have gone.
- Bridlington: Hilderthorpe coach park, Hilderthorpe Road, 9 May.
- Beverley: Race Course, 10 May.
- Market Weighton: Market car park, 15 May.
- Withernsea: Market, Pavilion car park, 16 May.
- Hornsea: Broadway car park, 17 May.
- Driffield: The Show Ground, 22 May.
- Goole: West Park, Airmyn Road, 23 May.
- Pocklington: Sports and social club, The Balk, 24 May.
- Elloughton: Brantingham Park, Ionians, 25 May.
The compost will be pre-bagged and council staff will put the free bags into the boot of every car.
In February, residents across the East Riding increased the amount of food waste, garden waste and cardboard they put in their brown bins by 73 per cent, compared with February last year.