Scrutinise and influence the work of East Riding Council
|October 22, 2012||Filled under Consultation, East Riding of Yorkshire Council|
“scru·ti·nise” - to examine in detail with careful or critical attention
DO YOU WANT the chance to influence East Riding of Yorkshire Council policy? The Council’s overview and scrutiny sub-committees could provide you with the opportunity.
The role of the sub-committees is to review and scrutinise decisions which affect East Riding of Yorkshire residents and make recommendations to support the improvement of council services.
- These sub-committees support the work of the Council as a whole and can produce recommendations and reports offering advice on policies, budgets and service delivery.
- They focus on strategic issues affecting residents and visitors to the East Riding.
- They can also make recommendations to the local NHS, Police and other key organisations in the East Riding.
The Council’s overview and scrutiny function is made up of four sub-committees that are part of the Council’s democratic decision-making structure. The sub-committees have looked at a wide range of issues over the last year including: youth provision; children’s centre development; alcohol treatment; Council publications; waste management; flooding; giving blood/organ donation and paediatric cardiac centres consultation.
The Council wants to ensure that it is looking at topics that interest and matter to local residents. It is encouraging people to tell them what they would like the Council to scrutinise.
Please note that overview and scrutiny sub-committees cannot consider:
- Individual service complaints – The Council’s complaints procedure should be used.
- Planning and licensing issues – They are submitted to the relevant planning or licensing committee unless it is as part of a policy review.
- Matters where there is a judicial process underway – for example if there is a court case pending.
To submit your proposals, please contact the overview and scrutiny team leader. You can write to Overview and Scrutiny, County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA or email email@example.com by Friday 30th November 2012.
For further information about the overview and scrutiny sub-committees, and to see lists of issues already being scrutinised by the Council, visit the Council’s website.