ACCORDING to the Join In website, Hull and the East Riding has produced only 17 Olympians between 1896 and 2008, which is claimed to be 51% lower than average for its population, and has won only 5 medals in that period and only one Gold way back in 1908 – that’s 61% lower than average for its population!
- Harvey Wood from Beverley won Gold for Hockey in the 1908 Olympics
- William Padgett from Hull won Silver for Shooting in the 1908 Olympics
- Bill Holmes from Hull won Silver for Cycling in the 1956 Olympics
- Thelma Hopkins from Hull won Silver for Athletics in the 1956 Olympics
- Sharon Rendle from Kingston upon Hull won Bronze for Judo in the 1992 Olympics
We are all hoping that this will improve in London 2012 through the efforts of Bantamweight boxer Luke Campbell from Hull who is already a medal winner (guaranteed a Bronze at least)! Luke is due to fight again on Friday 10th August 2012 at 2pm.
For everything to do with the Olympics, then the BBC’s website is unequalled for coverage.