IN A BID to prevent people becoming the victim of a deliberate fire, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to be more vigilant when leaving out wheelie bins for collection.
In March fire crews rescued three people from a house fire in Dunvegan Road in Hull. The fire, which is believed to have been started deliberately, spread from a wheelie bin in front of the property causing the porch to set alight. Fortunately a smoke alarm alerted the family to the fire.
Daryl Oprey, Head of Safety at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said: “It is utterly deplorable when fires are started deliberately, particularly those which put people’s lives in danger. By keeping wheelie bins out of sight and, if possible, behind locked gates these risks can be reduced. I ask residents to follow these precautions to eliminate the risks of deliberate wheelie bin fires. I urge homeowners to only leave bins out on the day of collection and retrieve them as soon as they have been emptied.”
Last summer, the Service attended 54 incidents involving wheelie bins that had been set alight deliberately. Residents are reminded that storing bins out of sight is one way to reduce the risk of arson incidents.
If anyone would like further safety advice call 0300 303 8242.