Beware the silent killer!
|January 3, 2013||Filled under Campaigns, Public Notice|
The National Grid is using the opportunity presented by the ITV soap opera storyline to raise important issues about CO poisoning.
Ian Aldridge, engineering policy manager at National Grid said: “It’s great to see Coronation Street highlighting the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and the dangers of not getting a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to fix a faulty gas appliance.”
“Fiz asked a car mechanic to fix her gas boiler in the programme but would you ask a gas engineer to fix your car or a plumber to prescribe you glasses?”
There are three simple steps National Grid is recommending when dealing with your gas appliances:
- Ensure your gas appliances are installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer
- Ensure all your gas appliances are checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer
- Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm – it could save your life
A video has been produced by the National Grid to warn people of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. It is quite harrowing; its simple message is “Get a Carbon Monoxide detector!”
Ian continued: “The tragedy about carbon monoxide poisoning, is that it is preventable. No one should ever be affected by CO if they always ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to install, service or fix their gas appliances and buy an audible CO alarm. These days having a smoke alarm in your home is second nature. We want CO alarms also to become second nature in homes with gas appliances.”
About 50 people die each year in the UK as a direct result of exposure to carbon monoxide gas. Many more die through strokes and respiratory illness made worse by inhaling low levels of carbon monoxide over prolonged periods, and still more are left with chronic after-effects.
It has been claimed by the CO Be Alarmed campaign that 35 million people could be at risk from CO poisoning because they mistakenly think that their smoke alarm will detect carbon monoxide – it wont!
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is odourless, colourless and tasteless. It can be given off by any appliance that burns gas, coal, oil or wood.
Note: See also the Public Safety Notice issued by Humberside Fire & Rescue Service